Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Music and Stitching

There was an interesting discussion on one of the Yuku boards I visit about designers and their "styles", and it got me thinking....here's a bit of what I posted.
To me designers are like musicians, they each have their own "style" and pretty much stick to it, so if you see one of their designs you easily recognize it, just as you recognize a musician by hearing their songs. The other interesting parallel between music and stitching to me is the fact that designers provide us the patterns (the sheet music, if you will) and we "perform" the stitching. Just as it takes skill to play a piece of music beautifully, it takes skill to stitch a beautiful pattern! Some stitchers become so good, they morph into designers, but you don't have to be a composer to perform a great symphony, nor do you have to be able to design to stitch a great needlework piece. There is a place for "cute" designs (think simple childrens' songs) for "traditional" designs, or for the "symphony" that is TW's body of work......and they all have value to stitchers.
I'd love to hear what other stitchers think about this....why does a particular designer's "style" appeal, or not? (no need to name names if you don't want to) Why do you like a particular "style" of music over another? I'm not the hip music listener I used to be, I still prefer soft rock, a la James Taylor, over today's trends. My DH on the other hand, likes country music!
What stitching "style" do you favor? Does this idea make you feel good about the stitching you do? (as a musician would feel good about their performance?) I have used this idea to explain what I do and why I love to stitch to the stitching "layman", and it makes sense to them.

As for my actual stitching lately...been caught up in the NHL playoffs and my team, the Carolina Hurricanes so I haven't actually gotten much stitched (well, if you count during the commercials and intermissions!). Hope to have the first part of Papillon's Castles in the Air done today and will post a picture soon! Series is tied 2-2, so.....Go 'Canes!

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe the end of that last game????? Looking forward to Sat.!
    I like with what you said about music and stitching - very nicely put, I might add!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you compare a designer to a musician! They do have their own style. Lizzie Kate is one of my favorites. Her designs are easily known to those who like her especially. Brittercup Designs is another one of my favorites and you just can not miss their designs! Ofcourse you have those such as HAED, which I have never stitched but everyone knows their designs. Anyway, those are just a few that popped into my head when I started reading this post.

    ReplyDelete